Friday, January 5

:: Is That So Wrong?

I posted a reader's review of the new Sofia Coppola movie "Marie Antoinette" at the NYTimes website today (okay, so I was bored):

"Coppola's true achievement is in updating the cinematic aesthetics of privilege. Here and in Lost in Translation the primary subject is the "terrible irony" of being young, beautiful, rich and yet lonely. To her credit, Coppola may be sticking to a dynamic with which she is intimately familiar (we are always told to "write what we know"). To her discredit, you can find this trope in a thousand different fashion layouts, in the celebrity mythology of Paris Hilton, and in the anachronistic blend of 1930s gangster fashion, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous opulence and 'mo' money, mo' problems' sensibility of a typical big budget rap video. If you are happy to spend ten bucks on pretty costumes, pretty actors, cool music and content that won't make you break a synaptic sweat, then by all means have at it. As for me, I look forward to seeing what Coppola creates when she grows up."
So what if I haven't seen the movie. Is that so wrong? I did see the trailer - twice!

No comments: